Weak Memory In Children
Weak Memory In Children
A weak memory can cause learning problems – that can lead to long term adverse effects on community and financial outcomes. They can cause failure of class, certain behavioral conditions, difficulties in adjustments during schooling and in adults lead to unemployment and poverty.
Memory is a basic power that plays an essential role in forming a person’s personality. Memory is very important for learning, development of mental faculties and overall development. Memory problems in kids can create issues with day to day functioning, cause poor performance in school and slow down learning of new skills.
In Ayurveda, the healthy individual is represented by equilibrium of Dosha (Vata, Pitta, Kapha), Agni (metabolic activity), Dhatu (metabolism), Mala (waste products), Atma (soul), Indriya (sense organ) and Mana (mind).2
Functions of mind are correlated with the Buddhi (intellect), Dhi (perception), Dhruti (retention) and Smriti (memory/retention power). Dhi, Dhruti and Buddhi takes part as a key role for understanding & learning of new information, while Smriti helps to regain or recall them.
Causes Of Weak Memory In Children
Factors that might influence the development of memory could be:
- Genetics: Some learning disorders can be hereditary and run in families.
- Medical conditions: Poor growth of the baby in womb, exposure to alcohol or drugs before birth, can cause learning disorders. Head injuries during birth or later in life is also a factor.
- Environmental exposure:Any exposure to environmental toxins (like lead, carbon monoxide etc) can cause learning problems.
Symptoms Of Weak Memory In Children
Identifying poor memory problems can be difficult. Your child might have a poor memory if he or she:
- Difficulty in understanding simple things
- Poor memory especially short term memory
- Poor coordination in walking and motor skills like holding a pen
- Forgetfulness, especially for day to day items such as books etc
Diagnosis Of Weak Memory In Children
Diagnosis of a weak memory is made by ruling out any serious causes of the symptoms by the doctor.
Doctor’s examine a child to rule out conditions like poor hearing or vision, nutritional deficiency, any mental disorder etc. In many cases, further assessments – such as psychometric analysis etc are needed to make a diagnosis.
Ayurvedic Treatment For Weak Memory In Children
Medhya Rasayanas strengthen the body and maintain normal body function.5
Intellect promoting or Medhya drugs such as Mandukaparni (Centella asiatica Linn.), Yastimadhu (Glycirrhiza glabra Linn.), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia (Wild) Miers) and Shankhapushpi (Convolvulus pleuricaulis Chois) may be beneficial in these conditions. Nasya karma may be beneficial however it should not be practiced in children less than 7 years of age.
- Internal medicine
- Medhya Rasayan Chikitsa
- Manovatratay chikitsa
- Manas chikitsa
- Satvajaya chikitsa
- Samupdeshan chikitsa
- Yoga and pranayama
- Mental diet plan
- Counselling and psychotherapy guidance program
- Buddhi smriti program
- Memory boost program
Diet Recommendations (Aahar)
Eating the right diet may also increase and help retain your memory’s capacity. Leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, spinach and Swiss chard are recommended by some researchers, as are berries, plums, and cherry tomatoes. The Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish like salmon, herring, and anchovies are also thought to help memory retention.
Lifestyle Changes (Vihar)
- Regularly indulge in activities that challenge the brain. These could be simple exercises or memory games. Over time, these help improve memory.
- Regularly practice yogasanas. Some specific ones that help improve memory and concentration are: