Every pore on the skin has as oil glands that produce sebum (oil) necessary for maintaining proper hydration. This sebum gives a healthy shine to the hair. However, some of them produce excessive sebum making the hair greasy. Oily hair is more seen in people having oily skin.
According to Ayurveda, hair is a byproduct of bone formation; the tissue which is responsible for bone formation is also responsible for hair growth. Healthy hairs are a symbol of a balanced dosha in body and good overall health.
CAUSES OF OILY HAIR
Production of hair is affected by hormones. Therefore, factors affecting hormone levels (contraceptive pills or stress) may also affect the oiliness of hair.
SYMPTOMS OF OILY HAIR
Oily hair may look lifeless, limp or dul.
OILY HAIR AYURVEDIC TREATMENT
Ayurveda explains that healthy hairs are a sign of good, balanced state of tridosha and imbalance in the tridosha can lead to hair damage. The management is balancing the vitiated dosha and strengthen the dhatus by appropriate diet, lifestyle and Ayurvedic Herbs. Herbal oil massages are also important part of hair health.
Nidan parivarjan chikitsa
Raktavah strotas chikitsa
Dosh shaman chikitsa
Immuno booster treatment
Yoga & Pranayama
DIET RECOMMENDATIONS (AAHAR)
- Include foods such as eggs, beans fish, low fat cheese, yeast, soybean, and yoghurt which will help in good hair health
- Increased intake of iron as it is essential for hemoglobin and blood formation. Increase the quantity of raisins, dates, green vegetables, etc.
- Avoid sugary, spicy, oily, junk foods, caffeine, carbonated drinks, etc.
- A lettuce and spinach juice helps in encouraging hair growth
LIFESTYLE CHANGES (VIHAR)
- Wash hair and scalp whenever required. Lather twice if needed.
- Leave shampoo on hair for at least 5 minutes before rinsing.
- Use conditioner only on the ends of the hair. Avoid putting it directly on the scalp.
- Avoid brushing hair too often as frequent brushing transfers the oil from scalp to hair ends.
- Avoid products which gives shine to the hair, they will add more oil to already saturated hair.