The hair that has lost its natural shine and luster and looks rough, frizzy and is called damaged hair.
According to Ayurveda, hair is a byproduct of bone formation; the tissue which is responsible for bone formation is also responsible for the hair growth. Healthy hair are a symbol of balanced dosha in body and good overall health.
CAUSES OF DAMAGED HAIR
Hair damage could be due to various reasons such as
- Too much use of hair products and chemical on hair
- Exposure to pollution and dust
- Poor nutrition
- Using very hot water for hair wash
- Repeated hair straightening, curling
- Combing wet hair
SYMPTOMS OF DAMAGED HAIR
The hair becomes brittle, dry, dull and porous.
DAMAGED HAIR AYURVEDIC TREATMENT
Ayurveda explains that good hair are a sign of good, balanced state of tridosha and imbalance in the tridosha can lead to poor hair health. The management is balancing the vitiated dosha and strengthen the dhatus by appropriate diet, lifestyle and herbs. Herbal oil massages are also important part of hair health.
- Astimajyagat chikitsa
- Manas chikitsa
- Raktavah strotas chikitsa
- Immuno therapy
Yoga & Pranayama
DIET RECOMMENDATIONS (AAHAR)
- Include foods such as eggs, beans fish, low fat cheese, yeast, soybean, and yoghurt which will help in proper hair growth.
- Increased intake of iron as it is essential for hemoglobin and blood formation. Increase the quantity of raisins, dates, green vegetables, etc.
- Avoid foods responsible for thinning of hair. These are animal protein, excessive raw food, tofu, tomatoes, burger, cold, spicy, sugary foods, fried foods, caffeine, carbonated drinks, etc.
- A lettuce and spinach juice helps in encouraging hair growth
LIFESTYLE CHANGES (VIHAR)
- Oily hair should be washed more frequently. The number of times the hair is to be washed depends on the oiliness of the scalp.
- Oily scalp should be washed at least one a day.
- For chemically treated hair, hair should be washed less frequently as it may be dry.
- If the hair contains flakes, it is necessary to shampoo properly, it may lead to scalp diseases and dandruff.
- While washing hair, clean the scalp properly, as washing only the hair may make it coarse and dry.
- Always use a conditioner after shampooing to improve the look of damaged hair, increase it shine, decrease static electricity, improve its strength and protect against UV rays.
- The conditioner should be used on the tips and not on the length of hair or scalp.
- The shampoo and the conditioner should be chosen depending on the hair type.
- While swimming the hair should be protected from harmful effects of chlorine