PREGNANCY AND HAIR LOSS
Many new moms see noticeable hair loss a few months after having a baby. This condition is called excessive hair shedding. It is caused by falling estrogen levels and a temporary phenomenon. Most women see their hair return to its normal fullness by their child’s first birthday. Many women regain normal fullness even earlier.
Hair loss is known as Khalitya in Ayurveda. Hair is a byproduct of bone formation; the tissue which is responsible for bone formation is also responsible for the hair growth. Early hair loss is related to the imbalance of the doshas and body type. People with excess Pitta in the sebaceous gland or at the root of the hair, are likely to lose their hair early in life
CAUSES OF PREGNANCY AND HAIR LOSS
During pregnancy, excessive amount of hair go into resting phase, which is part of the normal hair loss cycle. The rise in hormones during pregnancy prevents loss of hair. After delivery, the hormones return to normal levels, which allows the hair to fall out and return to the normal cycle.
SYMPTOMS OF PREGNANCY AND HAIR LOSS
Falling of hair starts 12 weeks of delivery. The normal hair fall rate is 75-100 hairs/ day but after delivery the rate increase to 500 hair/day.
PREGNANCY AND HAIR LOSS AYURVEDIC TREATMENT
Ayurveda explains that good hair is a sign of good, balance state of tridosha and imbalance in the tridosha can lead to hair loss. The management is balancing the vitiated dosha and strengthen the dhatus by appropriate diet, lifestyle and herbs. Herbal oil massages are also important part of hair health.
Dosh shaman chikitsa
Dhatu vruddhikar chikitsa
Asthimajjavah strotas chikitsa
Immuno booster treatment
Raktavah strotas chikitsa
DIET RECOMMENDATIONS (AAHAR)
- Protein rich foods will help prevent hair fall and baldness. Include foods such as eggs, beans fish, low fat cheese, yeast, soybean, and yoghurt which will help in proper hair growth.
- Increased intake of iron as it is essential for hemoglobin and blood formation. Increase the quantity of raisins, dates, green vegetables, etc.
- Avoid foods responsible for thinning of hair like spicy, sugary foods, fried foods, caffeine, carbonated drinks, etc.
- A lettuce and spinach juice helps in encouraging hair growth
LIFESTYLE CHANGES (VIHAR)
- Hair washing should be done with Amla and Shikakai
- Hair loss can be prevented by oiling and massaging the scalp. Coconut oil should be used on the scalp at least three times in a week.
- Regular bowel movement is necessary. For constipation, a mild natural laxative can be used.
- Aggravated doshas can be managed by regular exercise.
- Increase in blood circulation and activation of sebaceous glands can be obtained by rubbing scalp after a hair wash.
- Juice of green coriander leaves applied on the head is beneficial.
- Paste of cooked green gram and fenugreek should be applied on the hair for two to three times a week.